We have been active in the field of health-care law since our founding. These many years of experience serve as the foundation for our expertise and our network. We provide advice to local, cross-regional and international clients for all issues related to the health-care industry. In particular, our clients include doctors, hospitals, rehabilitation clinics, drug and medical products manufacturers, wholesalers, providers of therapeutic products and related services, pharmacists, management companies and health insurance providers. Similarly, investors, banks, insurers and consultants for projects and procedures gladly seek our advice in the health-care field.
In particular, we provide advice, support or litigate in matters involving
- structuring professional practices and other cooperative arrangements between professional practices;
- the common use of medical devices or practice networks;
- the formation or restructuring of Medical Service Centers;
- practice acquisition or sales;
- licensing or authorization processes;
- hospital restructuring, hospital cooperative arrangements, hospital mergers and hospital acquisitions;
and all questions related to hospital planning;
- legal issues related to pricing and distribution channels related to pharmaceuticals and medicinal products including distribution compliance;
- designing and implementing alternative and/or new forms of care, such as integrated care, specialist-provided care or optional benefits covered by health insurance providers;
- plausibility/performance audits and recourse/reassessment matters;
- medical malpractice cases as well as liability issues related to drugs and medicinal products including market surveillance and recall actions;
- criminal investigations;
- fee disputes with physicians’ associations; and
- issues related to hospital remuneration, budget negotiations and Medical Service of the Health Funds (MDK) inspections.
Our attorneys in the medical law field work collaboratively with their colleagues in other fields in the event questions related to other areas of practice should arise in the health care context.
In particular, this may involve
- drafting employment agreements for private physicians’ practices, terminating employment relationships – including providing representation in unlawful termination matters – advice when structuring agreements related to the provision of services by the head physician as well as individual or collective employment law matters involving medical and non-medical staff at hospitals;
- corporate and reorganization law-related aspects of implementing large-scale transactions or reorganization measures;
- structuring practice lease agreements and medical center arrangements;
- advice and representation in tender proceedings (e.g. calls for tender in the case of selective contracts); and
- questions related to data protection or industrial property rights.
Our expertise is likewise reflected in our publications and speaking/lecturing engagements. We are in-demand as speakers by our clients and professional education and conference sponsors. This has not gone unnoticed. We are recommended within this field by the industry advisor JUVE. We are steadily listed as a leading commercial law firm in the health-care and pharmaceutical fields in the FOCUS lawyers list. Most recently, the business magazine “Wirtschaftswoche” (ed. 52/2017) listed us as one of the top twelve law firms in the health-care and pharmaceutical fields for medical doctors, hospitals and insurance companies.